Welcome to the website for Greene Township. A Township of the Second Class located on the south side of the Ohio River, where it leaves Pennsylvania and splits the adjacent states of West Virginia and Ohio.
Our Township was chartered on March 4, 1812, and began as pioneers settled along the historic Mill Creek to use it as a water supply and as a means to power mills that would grind their flour, corn, etc.
Greene Township was formed in 1812 from parts of Hanover Township and Second Moon Township. The eastern section of the township was taken to form part of Raccoon Township in 1833. Then the township lost more territory when Hookstown was incorporated in 1843 and Georgetown in 1850.
Those interested in exploring the history of Greene Township and the surrounding area, the links below
and visit the South Side Historical Village on the Hookstown Fairgrounds.
Fun facts about Greene Township:
–Mill Creek Presbyterian Church, the oldest church in Beaver County, was founded before the township was created. In 1785, the Mill Creek congregation requested ministers, and supply ministers were provided through 1799. George M. Scott was first pastor as of July 1799.
-In the late 1820’s, John Ralston taught school on the Moore Heir’s farm, and Thomas Sweins established a school on another farm.
-In 1834, Tomlinson’s Run United Presbyterian Church was organized in the township near the Virginia, now West Virginia border.
-Several Greene Township men enlisted in Ormond’s Company H of the 140th Pennsylvania Infantry in 1862 for service against the confederacy.
-The Greene Township Farmers Club was formed in 1833, and the group held a fair in 1885 on the Alexander Nickel farm. It was the forerunner of the Hookstown Fair.