Georgetown is a borough in Beaver County, Pennsylvania, located in the northwestern corner of Greene Township, along the Ohio River. Georgetown was formerly was part of Greene Township, becoming a borough in 1850. Georgetown currently contracts with Greene Township for some of it’s Municipal Services.
Here are some fun facts and historical web links for Georgetown:
Georgetown became a borough in 1850, and it formerly was part of Greene Township. The town was laid out by Benoni Dawson January 13, 1793. It is the second oldest town in Beaver County.
Since 1789, the village of Georgetown was known to westbound riverboat travelers as a stopping place for food and supplies. Georgetown’s River Hotel was built in 1802.
Early families settling in the area were the Dawsons, Mackalls, Calhoons, Kinseys and Poes.
The post office was established in 1802.
St. Luke’s Episcopal Church was built in 1814, and it is the oldest Episcopal Church in the county.
Dawson’s Ferry, later called Smith’s Ferry, went into operation in the 1800’s to carry traffic north. It quit operating in the 1960’s.
You enter Georgetown from the intersection of Pine St. and Hill Rd. (St. Rt. 168) in Hookstown, via Georgetown Road, or Hill Road.